Pre-Retrofit Assessment - City of Peterborough
NOTE: Book this assessment if your home is located within of the City of Peterborough.
A home energy assessment is an evaluation of the efficiency of your building. A home energy assessment helps you identify areas where you could improve energy efficiency — for example, by sealing air leaks or adding insulation. Your assessment report will identify a range of improvements you can make to increase your comfort, health, and energy savings!
There are a wide range of reasons a homeowner may want a home energy assessment, such as to obtain a baseline and comparison on how your home is performing, to provide clear next steps on what home energy efficiency actions will make the biggest impact in your home, and/or to participate in incentive programs, such as the Home Efficiency Rebate Plus program or Canada Greener Homes Loan.
There are two kinds of assessment, pre-retrofit and post-retrofit. The pre-retrofit assessment is conducted before renovations/upgrades are started. It is required in order to access the above grant and loan programs. To book a post-assessment, contact your Energy Advisor or the Home Energy Help Desk at 705-536-9943.
A home energy assessment looks at:
- Air leaks and drafts
- Gaps around doors and windows
- Indoor air quality
- Insulation levels
- HVAC equipment (= heating, ventilation, and air conditioning)
- And much more!
Before you book, please note these requirements for an energy assessment:
- Your home cannot be under any renovations at the time of the assessment (i.e. drywall, insulation, windows, siding, cabinets, heating/cooling systems, etc.). All exterior openings must be sealed (windows, doors, fireplace dampers, crawlspace, attic hatches, etc.).
- Your home must be in habitable condition.
- We cannot perform assessment on multi-dwelling buildings, apartments, or office buildings. If your home has an apartment within it, or if the basement can only be accessed through a separate entrance, please call GreenUP’s Home Energy Helpdesk at 705-536-9943 to discuss eligibility.
- Have your property tax bill and roll number ready for your advisor.
- Be sure to clear access to all areas and mechanical systems of the home (including the attic and crawlspace)
- If applicable, sweep your fireplace and close dampers to avoid soot from being drawn into your home. Do not have a fire within 24 hours of your assessment.
- Homes that do not meet the above requirements upon the arrival of the Registered Energy Advisor will not be provided with an assessment and will receive only a 50% refund.
If you are unsure if your home meets the eligibility we are here to help!
If you have questions, please call the GreenUP Home Energy Helpdesk at 705-536-9943.
We Also Recommend
Pre-Retrofit Assessment - Asphodel Norwood, Cavan Monaghan, Curve Lake, Douro-Dummer, Hastings, Hiawatha, Otonabee S. Monaghan, Selwyn